Friday, May 8, 2009

Jif Peanut Butter vs Kroger Natural Peanut Butter


Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of the peanut butter jar? Whether it be Jif, Peter Pan or store brand you will be shocked if you haven't!

Sitting down one day taking a break and having a cup of green tea I started to channel surf. Happened across Oprah. The good Dr. Oz was on. He was discussing the topic of weight loss and what foods to eat and what to avoid.

Someone had said that she heard that a spoonful of peanut butter was good for you and wanted to know if it was true. Dr. Oz said "it is" if you eat the right one..... and then I sat up.

My kids eat peanut butter and jelly ALL the time! My Husband eats it on toast in the morning, he heard it was good for you.

Most peanut butters have Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils in them. Dr. Oz explained it like this:
"You know that can of Crisco that your Mother had sitting on the shelve that seemed to be there for ever? That is Hydrogenated Oil, it has a shelve life of a really really long time." It isn't natural so your body does not know what to do with it. Not to mention how incredibly bad it is for you!

Would you eat Crisco by the spoonful? Well if you eat some peanut butters by the spoonful you have! Shocked yet?

I think my Mother still has that can of Crisco on the shelf because she never throws anything away, and my guess is that it was in this years Christmas cookies. Ugggg!

Here we go, here are the ingredients from two jars of peanut butter:

Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
  • Roasted Peanuts
  • Sugar
  • Molasses
  • Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed (?) and Soybean
  • Mono- and Diglycerides
  • Salt

Kroger Brand Natural Creamy Peanut Butter

  • Roasted Peanuts
  • Salt

My Family now eats Natural peanut butter! We have since the show. Yes, you have to stir it and keep it in the fridge. It does sometimes cost more but, you use less! You will be amazed on how quick you can convert over.

I used to glob on the peanut butter, I think that is standard practice in sandwich making. If I put that much of the Natural peanut butter on, you wouldn't be able to open your mouth. The natural has only peanuts and salt, it has a much stronger pnut taste so you will definitely use less, save money and get healthier all at the same time. See isn't it "easy"!

I did have to learn to use less on the kids sandwich and they love it! Funny that spoonful I used to eat when I was finished making lunches has turned into just the tip of the butter knife :)

The recommendation for cooking...... if you have used it please leave us comments. I have not been brave enough to put it in my chocolate chip peanut butter cookies yet! But I intend to the next time I bake. I will also let you know!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Visiting!