Sunday, May 3, 2009

Daily Tip! Planting Spring Flowers & Mothers Day


Remember Mother's Day is early this year!
I went to Bordine Nursery yesterday to grab my carload of flats to plant next week. Thought that I would get a head start this year. Nope!

When I walked in I was needless to say over whelmed with all the flowers and the varieties of colors to choose from. Remember when there was just three basic colors of Impatiens? Red, pink or white. There was every color in the rainbow and then some. Flash Mix, Xtreme Hot Mix, Stardust Mix and for their 70th year anniversary a Mrs. B's Anniversary Impatien Mix!

You also have your Double Impatiens and New Guinea to choose from. I was a bit taken back and had to call for backup. So I hunted down my Sister In Law Sharon, a longtime employee and Manager at the store. After sifting through all the choices and colors we came up with a pallet that would work! All one splash of color. Impatiens with Begonia's in a salmon pink color scheme.

My Son at that point pushed the plant cart across the isle and away it went! Like a bad dream picking up speed heading right towards a plant display! It crashed 1/2 inch short of disaster! Everyone looked and then turned to see where his parent was! I told Sharon "you don't have to admit that we are related". She just laughed and said "remember I have a son too!".

So with color spikes in hand just as I started to load up the cart Sharon asked "your not planting these now are you?" I said "no, next week it's Mother Day Weekend". She said "remember this year Mother's Day is early!". So she sent me home flat less! I was told to come back in another couple weeks. The frost threat is still present. She also said that until the earth is warm to touch the plants are just going to sit there and do nothing.

It's better to wait then take the risk and get a fresh batch that will thrive as soon as you plant.
Happy Spring!

Kim T. said...
Good info to know. Thanks! I knew there was a reason I check your blog.
May 3, 2009 10:08 AM

1 comment:

  1. Good info to know. Thanks! I knew there was a reason I check your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Visiting!